Friday, March 12, 2010

Here We Go! March Madness Whedonverse Character Tourney - The Worst of the Lot, Round 2

Oh yeah, March Madness is in full effect! In case you're just joining us, so far we've weeded out the top 64 best characters which leaves us with the bottom 64, otherwise known as "The Worst of the Lot!"

A little back story, one year ago we challenged the fandom to a lethal tourney. The goal? Find out the fan favorite character of the entire Whedonverse. With that behind us, we thought we'd flip the script this time and try to find the opposite...specifically, who is the most hated character of the entire Whedonverse. We've been giving out randomized pairings of characters from Joss Whedon shows: Buffy, Angel, Firefly, Dollhouse and Dr. Horrible and will be for the rest of the month. So if the character sucks in your eyes, vote for them.

We all have our favorite most beloved characters, but who do we most despise? A character so lame, so annoying, we just wish never existed at all. We here at Buffyfest definitely have our predictions!

In part 4 of Round 1, we found out that the following people have been saved from fandom hatred:

Devon Macleish
Clem - Everyone loves Clem
November
Olaf the Troll(god) - Wow, Connor really is stil hated because 72% of the people chose him over Olaf!
Captain Hammer
Dalton the Sensitive Vamp
Phantom Dennis
The First Slayer - who barely made it against The Master, but alas The Master was more hated.
Darla
Spoike
Percy
Sid the Dummy
Faith - Barely beating Kaylee for better character status
The Cheeseman - Dawn reigns sucky there
Mayor Wilkins
and Forrest - who incidentally was "more hated" at the beginning of this round, but then turned it around and now Numero Cinco will make it to Rd 2!

Next up is Round 2, pt 1 and has 16 matches below. It will end in 72 hrs - March 15th at 11:59 pm Eastern Standard Time. Check out the opponents below and if you're playing, make sure to click the name you DISLIKE.

Remember, don't get confused! We're trying to find the worst of the lot here...so if you HATE them, click away.

Click here to view the full Tournament Bracket, updated with the winners so far.

I can't stress this enough...DON'T CLICK ON YOUR FAVORITES!

































































































22 comments:

mbatz said...

I'm glad Faith won last round and I'm very sad that Dawn is not safe:( I at least thought she'd survive the Cheese...c'mon. Can't believe Forrest is safe, hate him. This round was kind of tough - most of my picks are underdogs. I took Groo as more hated than Rona - hate em both though. Had to take Ford over Buff's dead beat Dad but it was tough. Boyd over the roomate from hell cause I kind of liked crazy Kathy, Hal over my girl Sunday (rooting 4 ya), Cassie over Gwen the bitch watcher cause well it's suicide blog Cassie, also Ben (hate em) over Finn (I like Finn) and Skip over Eve (Skip was an ass). oh, and Sheperd over Der Kinderblahblah cause Shep was a total wuss religious zealot:).heh. Oh, I'm glad Dingo Dev is safe- he was awesome even if he wasn't really singing. I like that band:)

mbatz said...

Why does everyone hate poor Dawny? Tough gig coming in at a "jump the shark" moment. She grew over 3 seasons, didn't she? Good researcher:)

Anonymous said...

Echo vs. Penny?!
Its nearly as tough as Faith vs. Kaylee.

Jesika Lin said...

oh man... why jesse vs kendra? kendra is the first person i think of when i think of WORST CHARACTER, definately my most hated. but jesse has the honor of being xanders friend for one episode and then dying. a tough choice for us all.

Michelle said...

That was an easy one for me. The only one I felt a little bad for was Whistler. He was a great character and really brought the PTB into full effect. Plus, love his awesome narration in Becoming!

Scar said...

I agree with Jesi there, it was so tough Jesse vs Kendra. I eventually voted for Kendra 'cos I actually remember her being irritating, as opposed to Jesse who is irritating the one episode he's in then slips from memory.

Tara said...

Ah interesting. See I did the opposite, Scar. I voted for Kendra bc they were both annoying but I felt like I had no time to connect w Jesse. Whereas with Kendra, there was at least enough time to see at least 1 or 2 endearing moments.

Anonymous said...

theres an easy formula for this, any comparison with Rilet Finn automaticaly wins unless its angel who always trumps Finn. If he or he isn't in the competition, default to any Eliza dushka character. again if no match, anybody who was introduced in season 4 of Buffy hands down. Still no match? Anyone who appeared in Angel. After that just throw a coin. ;)

Cool Hip [InyRules] said...

STOP PITTING PEOPLE I LOVE AGAINST EACH OTHER!!!

Well, the only difficult one for me in this one is Echo vs. Penny. But some of the ones from the last rounds were just unfair. And I know it'll get harder from here. Grr...

Anonymous said...

I can't believe more people are voting for Echo than Penny. Penny is not a very good character, not only that, she's played by the worse actress in Whedonverse. Echo is a very complicated,interesting character. Penny is flat.

Katie said...

This isn't even a good matchup because the worst character Joss Whedon has EVER CREATED, Kennedy, is nowhere to be seen. Way to go.

Michelle said...

Katie,

This is a tournament, so the characters are put into groups and are randomly selected to go up against another character in their group. Kennedy will be back around in the next round. You'll have a chance to crown her the winner soon enough.

mbatz said...

Hey! Season 4 RAWKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is all. ..DAMMIT:) Also I didn't find Kendra annoying? Besides the wonky accent. I'm really surprised at the characters people hate. i mean I can point to at least 2 dozen things that Willow (for instance) did or said that would make me hate her more than Kendra- who only died a noble death and gave Buff Mr Pointy. ( how about that whole ep where Willow takes advantage of Anya "Triangle, S5" what a BITCH she was there, right?), but, of course she's sacrosant. Anyway my point is were not even at Willow/Kendra...We're at frigging Jesse(nothing character)/Kendra!! I may have to bail on the rest of this torney due to blood pressure:(

Michelle said...

mbatz,

Don't leave us!!!! I'll promise to give Season 4 another chance, I will.

Anonymous said...

"I can't believe more people are voting for Echo than Penny. Penny is not a very good character, not only that, she's played by the worse actress in Whedonverse. Echo is a very complicated,interesting character. Penny is flat."

I agree, but Day was in one of Whedon's 'special projects' (Horrible\Firefly), so when they're up against people who were 'only' on the other shows (ie. the good ones), they automatically win.

So Day by virtue of being on a really bad musical wins according to the most cultish of Whedonites (ie. the Whedonesque)...

Tara said...

I have to say, most of my picks are winning (if you can call it that) right now, but I'm really annoyed that Amy Madison is safe. I HATE her. Also, Warren/The Beast are a little too close for comfort.

Mbatz, I too am a rare fan of Kendra. I truly believe that the only reason people find her annoying is because of her unfortunate accent. Kendra was cute and she's a Slayer. I don't think she deserves those near 500 votes, but hey...at least she's safe.

Also, down with Eve. Eve can take the whole tourney for all I care. Matter of fact if Eve, Warren, Kennedy, The Stupid First, or Amy took it, I'd be pleased. Any combo of 4 of them in "The Final Four" would be impossible for me!!

Anonymous said...

I would go for Dawn...but I think she's not on the list...

Sorry for all the Dawn-Fans but that's my opinion. She just put the series and especially the character of Buffy into another direction I really didn't like (Buffy being all that mature; and everybody had to look after little Dawn, who was just nerving all the time). Oh I just hated her! If you look back to season 2 and 3 for example you get what I mean. It became just a totally different atmosphere with nerving Dawn!

Anonymous said...

Hey, what's wrong with the first slayer? It was necessary to have a first slayer. Also Felicia Day is not a worse actor than Eliza Dushku. Epitaph One, anybody? Dushku doesn't have a lot of range (yet). Also, not too clear on how people are judging "worst"; unpleasant Character? Poorly written character? Lousy actor? What's the scale here.

Tara said...

I would say the scale is "Choose your favorite and vote for the opposite." Eventually, we'll end up with a bunch of Warrens, Kennedys, etc. and it'll be impossible to decide who makes me want to take a bat to my television more.

Sheesh, hostile much? Sorry.

Kaaren said...

I'm glad Riley is saved. I really liked Riley. There, I said it. :)

kay ulanday barrett said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
kay ulanday barrett said...

made of poop: kennedy, dawn, warren, amy, riley. riley in my opinion was a weak addition and all the time used for bland sweaty sex/making out scenes could have been utilized to developed other characters in the scooby gang.