Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Angel is a Cheese Doodle

Before you go scratching your heads, please let me explain. You see, I was having a conversation with my fellow bloggers about the direction Angel's character has taken in Season 8 and the discussion ended with this quote by me: "Angel has become the cheese doodle that fell into the couch cushion, could have been enjoyed, but destroyed by the asses that now sit upon him."

It's a simple analogy really and comes with a kind of light heartedness that can only derive from (hyperbolic) loss and pain. I was a huge Angel fan. I loved everything about this character - story, conflicts, hotness. Even when Angel was at his worst, he was at his best to me. It was the hope that kept me hanging on. I liked that no matter what line was crossed, Angel the Vampire was ready to dust off his duster and try again. It was life in a nutshell to me - the idea that we all have a chance to do better the next time. Angel made a lot of mistakes, sometimes for the greater good and sometimes for his own selfish reasons, just like we do. Yet, he strived to be a better man from the moment he first met Buffy in an alleyway to the moment he faced off with hoards of demons in yet another alleyway.

Please take notice of the past tense here. That's because I'm not sure how to feel about Angel right now. Trust me, it feels like horrible betrayal as I write this. I'm an Angel fan - I'm supposed to stick by his side, right? Well, for some reason, I can't quite stay on board with the character this time. Do I feel sympathy for him? Sure. Do I think he got himself wrapped up in yet another fate vs. free will mess? You betcha. But, there's a difference here...I'm not sure I care anymore. Maybe it has to do with Giles' death or maybe it's something else that will come to me later, but all I know is I've just become apathetic and this my friends is worse than hatred.

Now, I could easily blame Mr. Whedon for this debacle and claim that "My Angel" would never do that, but that's not how I view fiction. To me, Angel is Joss and therefore, he would do that and anything else his creator inks on the page. I'm just holding on to the hope that Angel's new book can change my mind. I'm hoping I can love Mr. Tall, Dark and Broody again. If not, I'll just resign myself to remembering when....

So, here I am. Instead of eating a delicious, bright orange, finger-staining cheese doodle, I'm stuck looking for itty-bitty crumbs hidden under the sofa cushion. Sigh.

8 comments:

Skytteflickan88 said...

I have a similar feeling. I really liked Angel (not sure if there was ever love)but then shit happened. Bad bad mistakes made by Angel, that I'm not even sure he regrets. After Angel season 4, I just started to really dislike him. Now I'm in a whatever-mood, apathetic, but still reading every comic, darkhorse and IDW, because damn it, I might not like Angel as a person anymore, but I love the shows and I do hope that I once again will like Angel as a character again. I think it can turn around.

Wes said...

No, he is not the same character we know at the end of "Not Fade Away" he's playing 2nd fiddle to Joss' pet Buffy, Season 5 bad ass ANGEL wouldn't of done anything like this, ANGEL ATF was great, they should of left it at that. I'm scared to see what Dark Horse does to our beloved captain Forehead, they've bled the soul out of him, and most of the staff at IDW agree. sad day, sad day.

cordangel said...

Dark Horse and Joss Whedon completly destroyed Angel in s8 BtVS. I ADORE Angel, but this is not the manpire I've known in three seasons of BtVS, five seasons of AtS and AtF and IDW comics. I think Joss Whedon has lost the ability to undertand this amazing character. Or maybe he wants to sacrifice Angel on Buffy's altar.In both cases...sad, sad, sad.

cil_domney said...

Excellent -

Thank You for putting into words just how I feel about what has happened to my connection with this great character.

It's as you say, Joss Whedon's character to write as he wants - but it is the reader and fan that connects with his characters and the story he writes.

It's a sad day for me that I can't seem to care anymore about Angel after Season 8. Angel/Angelus with all his flaws and goodness was a character that I could connect with and both feel great sorrow for and admiration. Angel, the destroyer of the world, not so much. I used the analogy in one of our discussion of The Drunk Driver who kills innocent victims - I can feel sorrow for the drunk driver but I have to hold him responsible for his choice to take those drinks.

The character has cross a line in Season 8 into a place that I would have much difficulty accepting - violence creates more violence and death is the same if we count it as One or Thousands. Throughout all the history of humanity we have had rulers and people working for "Their Greater Good" who have killed millions to that service. Angel in Season 8, for me, has joined them.

skyroom80 said...

I am now so happy that I have read only a few of the Buffy 8 comics. Sorry, do not want my Angel defiled. Nope. Not going there,

^o^CORVUS^o^ said...

I gave up on Season 8 a long time ago.

I knew we were in from trouble from the start, what with Buffy and crew behaving as a paramilitary group, with helicopters, and gear, and the stolen funds. Much of what would come soon after further confirmed that these weren't the same characters anymore, and that IMHO Joss had lost the plot.

Joss is great, about that there is no doubt. But Joss isn't always right, and doesn't always know best. These are indeed his characters, but much of what he did to the scoobies rang false to me, and in Angel's case even moreso.

It may be canon, but as far as I'm concerned, season 8 never happened.

arahua said...

I think Joss has lost his mind this seaso. Or maybe he never understood Angel's character and other writers (Greenwalt, Minear) had a better understanding of him. Maybe this plu DH writers lack of knowledge about Angel have caused this terrible mess. I don't know if he is fully aware of this disaster, but I hope he read some fans reaction.

I would ask Joss: do you think you can undo what you did? And it was worth ruining this amazing character, his show and comics for a shock moment in BUFFY's comics.
For me, absolutely not.

healing journey said...

Thanks for sharing-so I wouldn't read season 8 to keep my love to Angel and other characters unaffected.